John 8:31, "Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;"
To be a disciple, a pupil, a student of the Lord and His Word - what a desire and goal for each of us! Christ invites men to follow Him to become what He desires them to become! As we desire to "Follow Jesus," it will entail some effort on our part - some sacrifice, some time, some commitment that must be surrendered and submitted to Him.
Today I ask you to reflect on the past - 2019 - and prior years. Also, to look ahead for what God might want from you and I in 2020 and beyond. I immediately thought of a few things:
(1) We must be in His Word daily!
To continue in His Word indicates a present condition of being in it. If you are not in it, you cannot continue in it. My first prayer for 2020 is: Allow me to submit and surrender enough of my time to be in His Word daily. 1 Samuel 12:14, "If ye will fear the LORD, and serve him, and obey his voice, and not rebel against the commandment of the LORD, then shall both ye and also the king that reigneth over you continue following the LORD your God:"
(2) Acts 13:43, "Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God."
This verse encourages the believer to continue in the grace of God. Grace is not only needed for salvation, but our everyday living requires us to rest in the grace of God.
(3) Acts 26:22, "Having therefore obtained help of God, I continue unto this day, witnessing both to small and great, saying none other things than those which the prophets and Moses did say should come:"
Paul speaks of the need to continue witnessing. In 2020, would we commit to the Lord to witness once a week? Once a month? As His children, it is our responsibility to witness to others. Witness of what? What God has done in our lives in salvation, provision, mercy, grace, etc.
(4) Romans 2:7, "To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:" Continuance is needed in the area of well doing.
Galatians 6:9, "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not." Another reminder of an action that we, as God's children, should be actively involved in on a regular basis is in well doing to others.
(5) Colossians 1:23, "If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;"
(6) 1 Timothy 4:16, "Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee."
2020! A year to continue in His Word!
- Continue to read it!
- Continue to obey it!
- Continue to provide it!
- Continue to distribute it!
Written by Dr. Bill Duttry